Appeals 2017


Making decisions about your child’s education can be a worrying time. Not getting a place for your child at the school which is your 1st preference can leave you feeling uncertain about
what you should do next.

The purpose of this page is to explain to you the rights you have on the admission of your children to our school. You should, however, seek your own independent advice regarding the particular circumstances of your case.
It also explains the procedure for school admission appeal hearings. As a free school we run this process slightly differently to other schools, but we wish to stress to parents that this is a fair system.

You have the right to say which school you would prefer your child to go to, but this does not mean that you have the right to have your child admitted to that school.

The organisation responsible for making decisions about whether your child can have a place at a school is called the admissions authority. As a free school St. Jérôme Church of England Bilingual School is its own admissions authority.

Our appeals have now been heard for our 2017 intake


If your appeal is unsuccessful

The admissions authority will only look at one application for a school in an academic year, unless there has been a significant change in circumstances. This can be medical reasons, which have arisen since the time of the original application, or the first application was turned down because of the class size, but the year group has moved to Key Stage 2 (Year 3 and above). This is because infant-class-size legislation would no longer apply.
If there has been no significant change in circumstances, the admissions authority does not have to look at your application again, so you have no right of appeal.

Further action you can take

The Appeals Panel’s decision is binding and there is no further Right of Appeal. However, there are other possible courses of action available, which parents may wish to consider as

Complain to the Secretary of State for Education that the admissions authority has acted unreasonably.
Initiate proceedings in the High Court for Judicial Review, if you consider that the hearing has not been conducted properly.
Complain to the Commissioner for Local Administration (The Local Government Ombudsman) if you feel that there has been maladministration.
Complain to the Council on Tribunals on general procedural matters.